The Business Challenge:
- Pioneer represents a significant investment for John Lewis and is a strategic business transformation programme aimed at optimising product and stock management through the delivery of high quality data and efficient processes enabled by leading technologies.
- The delivery of Pioneer also underpins improvements in the speed to launch of products.
- The programme combines Stibo’s STEP product information management system with Oracle’s Retail Merchandising System (RMS) and Retail Price Management (RPM) modules and will integrate these into John Lewis’s existing technology estate.
In order to strengthen the delivery capability of the programme, P2 Consulting were engaged and asked to take full management responsibility for the delivery of the Pioneer Programme
How We Helped:
- P2 Consulting provided senior level leadership of the programme and also established and operated a Programme Management office.
- We instigated a review of benefits and underpinning business capabilities to be delivered by the programme and then supported John Lewis through the internal approval process for the restated business case for the programme
- We carried out an initial review of the programme establishing the minimal viable build for programme success and restoring stakeholder confidence in both the technical and business designs and the solution quality.
- We worked with John Lewis to redefine the IT delivery model and reset the commercial arrangements with the incumbent Systems Integrator (SI), re-incentivising them to deliver.
- We stabilised programme delivery and established a realistic, achievable and optimised plan
- We also implemented and embedded the PMO team who are responsible for operating the governance structure and maintaining controls including plans, risks, issues, assumptions, dependencies, resourcing, costs and benefits, scope and the associated reporting.
- P2 Consulting created a sound foundation for success introducing a level of stability to the programme that would enable a step change in performance.
- We restructured the programme delivery framework and reset the planning baseline to present stakeholders with a coherent vision supported by a clear programme scope, solution design and delivery approach which was underwritten by all stakeholders.
- We actively promoted benefits realisation as the priority metric for measuring programme success which enabled the programme to transition to a business focused delivery organisation.
- P2 Consulting introduced a measurable step change in performance across the programme and created the conditions to manage the successful delivery of the build phase, ahead of schedule. The programme is now back on track to realise the anticipated business benefits by delivering a world-class ERP system and deliver its first major release to buying offices and merchandisers in Q1 2018.
For more information, please contact us