The Business Challenge:
- The multi million pound Omni Channel Customer Ordering (OCCO) Programme is John Lewis’ flagship programme to support its omnichannel vision and improve the order journey for Customers and Partners while maximising fulfilment services efficiency. The programme consists of 4 major components;
- Provide a single view of the customer in Contact Centres and Online orders, self-service functionality and a more consistent billing experience
- A new user interface for Partners that allows for assisted ordering and the ability to manage customer orders in a uniform way across Online and the Contact Centres
- System changes across JL’s fulfilment channels to provide accurate stock availability to customers
- A card payment and profit protection solution for Online and Contact Centres
- In early 2015 the programme asked P2 Consulting to provide support to help strengthen programme governance and controls and to appoint an overall Programme Lead. We remain a key partner today.
How We Helped:
- P2 Consulting provided a highly experienced programme management lead and PMO team to drive such a complex transformation programme forward
- In addition, early on, P2 provided Specialist Assurance Leads to help conduct an in-depth review of the planning and estimating standards used by the programme to help optimise delivery and challenge costs. This led to the creation of a revised baseline and budget
- Our Programme Director engaged with the John Lewis Senior Leadership Team to help define and prioritise the expected business benefits. He then went on to lead the OCCO Programme
- The PMO team is responsible for operating the governance structure and maintaining controls including plans, risks, issues, assumptions, dependencies, resourcing, costs, benefits, scope and the associated reporting
- We continually strive to improve the strategic execution of the programme, liaising with client and 3rd party staff to optimise delivery effectiveness
- P2 Consulting seamlessly replaced an incumbent PMO and Programme Director. Together we formed a collaborative team of P2 and John Lewis staff over a carefully crafted 6-week transition plan. We successfully delivered a Maturity Improvement Plan that strengthened controls such as Risk & Issue Management, Reporting, Planning and Business Readiness.
- We engaged with the programme team, its stakeholders and suppliers to help review the basis of estimating, reset the programme objectives and scope, amended the business case against the John Lewis multi-channel strategy and clarified the business benefits and priorities.
- P2 supported work to eliminate time and cost overruns by empowering the business to better align solutions to Customer and Partner needs enabling swifter and better informed decision making.
- John Lewis’ Group CIO, referred to the latest implementation of the programme as ‘the most complex IT and business system implementation attempted in the Partnership by a large margin’.
For more information, please contact us